I Have an Announcement to Make!

2 announcements, actually!

While other people whose blogs I follow are making announcements like being pregnant, moving, and starting their own businesses, mine aren’t quite like that… Not quite at all… But they are life changing (for me), and the first one impacts my readers greatly :)

Announcement #1: I got the internet! I realize it seems especially strange that someone who writes a (semi) consistent food blog has just gotten the internet at her house for the first time ever. And I’ve lived here for 4 years. Wow. Yup, I’ve been writing my blog at either my parents’ house or Starbucks allllll this time. But no more! And guess what’s really exciting about that for all of us? That means more posts! Yay! I don’t have to block off time in my week to go seek out the internet and leave poor Cupcake home alone while I write posts of pure culinary genius! (haha!)

Announcement #2 is WWWWAAAAYYYYYY too exciting to write at the beginning of this post, so I’m going to write it at the verrrrryyyyyy end to build great suspense (although, I’m sure by the time you get down there you’ll have forgotten there even was an announcement #2… unless you’re about to skip everything and scroll to the bottom… in which case, *tsk tsk*).

I must now share some lovely pictures of my beautiful garden:

That is my absolutely beautiful border of daylilies all in bloom. They have just gotten so big and beautiful! Next year I will separate even more of them and plant them along more of the garden bed. Eventually my entire backyard will be bordered in these beauties!

Standing a bit closer to the pond and waterfalls, you can see the roses, verbena, butterfly bushes, butterfly weed, hostas, elephant ear… There’s a lot of stuff planted up there.

Here is a close-up of the glass lanterns hanging in that tree… They’re pretty inconspicuous from that other angle. Also, a close-up of the bird feeder with a starling landing on it.

I had to hack down my butterfly bushes after they grew to be about 8 feet tall and blocked the view of all of the hibiscus flowers behind them! I cut off a bunch of the flowers and put them in 2 vases. They look so nice and they smell like pure honey. I still have the bushes on the hill, I just chopped them down to be about 3 ft high instead.

And of course, what’s a Pescetarian and the Pig post without this beautiful little gem? She got herself all dirty rolling around in the yard and pushing that snout through the flowerbed. She has grown a bit bulbous since the winter, since she literally eats everything in sight… Cupcake is the best!

And now… announcement #2….

I GOT 2ND ROW TICKETS TO SEE GOTYE IN RALEIGH IN OCTOBER!!!

Gotye!

2nd row!

I don’t know if you can truly fathom how excited I am about this! Now all I need are backstage passes… So seriously… if anyone knows anyone… totally hook me up. It would be legendary.

Tags: , , , , ,

13 Responses to “I Have an Announcement to Make!”

1. June 7, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

Loving your post and your garden just puts my own to shame; just beautiful and gorgeous and the icing is seeing a pic of Cupcake enjoying it too! I like sharing these types of announcements through posts and just as important because you are living life girl. Have a Great Weekend:)

• June 8, 2012 at 9:32 am #

I love pictures of Cupcake, too :) I have worked tirelessly for 3 years trying to get my garden the way I want it. I still have more to do, but I’m very happy with its current condition. I hope you have a great weekend!

2. June 8, 2012 at 3:19 am #

What a lovely garden, It’s almost like a wonderland! have a wondeful Day!

• June 8, 2012 at 9:30 am #

Thank you :) My backyard is definitely my favorite part of my house. Every day a new flower pops up and I get so many birds and insects, plus I have my ducks, cats, and pig following me everywhere through it, and of course the koi fish in the pond. It really does feel magical, and I find any excuse I can to be outside. Have a wonderful weekend yourself! (so glad it’s frriiiiddddaaaayyyy)

• June 8, 2012 at 9:40 am #

Hey Rachel! Yes I can easily imagine the magic. And I must say, it’s really cute your pig, I would reaaaally love to have such one my self! I think It must be your magic Green fingers, which are doing the trick, and out good heart. Thank you so much, great Day!

3. Millie Cox
    June 8, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Cupcake is so cute! I will never forget when she came for lunch at our house and met Shu Shu (our kitten who is now 15 pounds)! Your day lillies are gorgeous! Ours were all eaten by the deer! Been missin your mom in jam. She’s a world traveler!

• June 8, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Haha, you mean you’ll never forget when she came over, no bigger than a tiny puppy, and peed on your carpet and then dug herself a little area to lay down in your flower bed? She was the cutest baby and so crazy for Cheerios. I have so many pictures from your house! And your garden is absolutely AMAZING. I do have mine fenced in, so no deer at the lilies, but I might give up lilies for a backyard like yours!

4. June 8, 2012 at 11:17 am #

Your garden looks lovely, and of course cupcake is as cute as ever. Glad to hear that you’re wired and ready for action!

• June 11, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

Thank you :) It will certainly make the world of blogging easier… although now I might get addicted to Netflix, a whole new distraction!

5. June 8, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Love your garden! I can’t wait to get out of my apt. and have a backyard again! And congrats on the tickets!

• June 11, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

Thank you! I do love gardening. It can be so exhausting, but at the same time, there’s always SOMETHING to do, so I can never claim to be bored with nothing to do around the house ;)

6. Natasha
    February 25, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

Hello Beautiful pics I’m so in love with cupcake I’ve been doing tons of research on pigs and want to get one in the next year or so but I really want some advise and i would love to know where you got her from because I have no idea where to start looking for one and who to trust please help me :)

• Rachel
      March 11, 2013 at 9:22 am #

I got Cupcake from a breeder in Georgia called Paradise Valley Farms. You can look online, there are a lot of breeders and rescue places that you can get a pig from. It’s very very very important that you are able to see the adult pigs in person and check for size, health, and treatment of the pigs. Also, make sure the parents are at least 3 years old. If they’re not, they can be deceptively small as pigs don’t reach their full size for 3 years and they all grow at different rates. Cupcake grew very fast in her first 2 years and then barely changed to her third, but I know many stories of the pig staying quite small for 2 years and then growing rapidly in that 3rd year to double in size. Once you get your pig, the most important thing to do is to stay 100% on discipline. It’s so easy to let things slide because they’re so darned cute, but they’ll learn far too quickly what they can get away with and take full advantage of it. As good of a girl as Cupcake is, I totally spoiled her and she knows it. Let me know if you have any further questions, I’d love to help :)