Garlic and Herb Steamed Crab

Garlic and Herb Steamed Crab

Crab. Sweet, juicy, ocean-y (?) Dungeness Crab.

Dungeness Crab is a childhood tradition. For years and years and years my family would go to my Uncle Toshi’s cabin at the Hood Canal, WA. We would set crab traps out in the canal in the morning and at the end of the day we would go back out and pull them into the boat. That’s how I learned how to visually size a crab and to tell whether the crab is a male or a female. The male’s belly has Jesus on it, and the female has a mountain (it’s TRUE!!!).

On the last evening of the trip we would have a huge crab feast. Toshi made this pork and black bean sauce that he put the crab in (although he always made me a portion of the sauce with no pork. And this was WAY pre-piglet). One of my favorite things about the crab was that it took so flipping long to eat. Talk about really taking the time to enjoy your food.

So, naturally, when I happened upon Dungeness Crab in the grocery store here on the east coast, I let out a squeal of rapture and I bought it! Alllllll of it! (seriously, I did… they only had 2 clusters left). Now, I didn’t cook it the way Toshi does it, but this simple concoction of garlic and herbs heated up with steam is amazing.

Garlic and Herb Steamed Crab

• 2 Clusters of Fresh Crab
  • 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
  • 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Basil
  • 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Dill

Delicious!!! You can serve with melted butter if you like but I like my crab totally natural.

Garlic and Herb Steamed Crab

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Steamed dungeoness crab with garlic and herbs. Healthy and simple.
Author:
Recipe type: Pescetarian
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 2 Clusters of Fresh Crab
  • 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
  • 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Basil
  • 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Dill
Instructions
  1. Fill a deep saucepan with 1 inch of water. Place crab clusters in the pot, cover with the lid, and place over medium-high heat. When water gets hot enough to begin steaming, remove lid, sprinkle in garlic and herbs, replace lid, and leave steaming for 10 minutes. Drain and serve!
  2. Keep in mind that these are the directions to cook crab bought at the grocery store, which has been pre-steamed before shipping. If you were to get your hands on completely raw crab, you would need to extend the steaming by at least 10 more minutes.

Dungeness Crab

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Garlic and Herb Steamed Crab”

1. September 4, 2012 at 8:26 am #

Wow! That looks incredible. Definitely a recipe I’m going to try out…

• September 5, 2012 at 11:16 am #

I hope you too! It tastes great and is sooooo healthy!

2. repurposed redhead
    September 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Yum! My mouth is watering. I’m always a bit leery of adding anything besides maybe butter to crab, but this recipe may be one to try. Now I just need some crab… Thanks! – Rene

• September 5, 2012 at 11:16 am #

I know how you feel! I don’t even ilke to add butter. But this herb and garlic mixture is very subtle and adds a wonderful aroma without overpowering the taste of the crab. It really is delightful :)

3. September 5, 2012 at 2:09 am #

Awesome pictures! This so made me want to eat crab, but it is nearly impossible to get hold of any decent seafood her in Berlin. I guess I’ll have to keep eating with my eyes then…

• September 5, 2012 at 11:10 am #

Sometimes I really take for granted that not all food is available everywhere. Make sure if you ever come to the US that you go to Seattle and get Dungeoness crab. In my opinion, it is the best around!

4. September 5, 2012 at 4:16 am #

Did you dip yours into melted butter? Looks fab!

• September 5, 2012 at 9:28 am #

No, I didn’t. I actually don’t like dipping my crab into butter because crab is so sweet, I don’t feel like it needs anything added! It tastes great!

5. September 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Beautiful photos! Can’t wait to try.

• September 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

Thank you, I hope you enjoy it!

6. Dianna
    February 17, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

Years ago a girlfriend of mine made some great crab for a work lunch party. It was the best thing I’d ever tasted and I’ve made crab the same way ever since. After you cook, clean and break up your crab, add fresh minced garlic and fresh chopped parsley. Sprinkle freshly squeezed lemon juice and olive oil over the mixture, put the lid on the container and shake well so the garlic/parsley/lemon juice/olive oil have a chance to get into every little crevice and then chill for a little while. Serve with fresh sourdough or French bread and you are in heaven!

• Rachel
      February 18, 2013 at 10:35 am #

Sounds delicious! My uncle cuts slits in each joint to infuse the flavor into the crab as it cooks in the black bean sauce that he uses. Being a somewhat lazy chef myself, I didn’t find the patience to do all that cutting up, but the herbs really get into the crab meat as you’re eating it, especially since you have them all over your fingers :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks