Strawberry Banana Chia Smoothie

Strawberry Banana Chia Smoothie.Strawberry Banana Chia SmoothieWatch out, because Chia seeds aren’t just for spreading on terra cotta animals and Einstein heads anymore. Now, they’re the newest trend in nutritional seeds (move over, flax!).

Chia Seeds

Chia seeds are packed with Omega-3’s and are a great source of fiber. Unlike flax, they have absolutely zero taste, so you really can add them to anything without compromising on flavor (but make sure you check your teeth before you go out on a hot date ;) )  I’ll be honest with you, I think they’re fun simply for the way they look, and I’ve always enjoyed foods with lots of tiny seeds that you can pop in your teeth. I say “No!” to seedless jam!

Strawberry Banana Chia SmoothieI say YES to anything with bananas!

I also say YES to Saved By the Bell on Netflix! The harrowing adventures of 6 close friends and their high school principal. In back to back episodes, Kelly, Jessie, and Lisa spark the interest of a major record label with their all girl pop group, “Hot Sundae,” but unfortunately Jessie gets addicted to caffeine pills and gets “So Excited…. I’m so excited! I’m… so…. scared!” and the group disbands for her 5 minute drug rehab. Then, in the very next episode, the three girls are discovered by a teen magazine photographer and Kelly is chosen to go to Paris and become a big time model! But Zack and his selfish antics guilt her into staying at Bayside. Meanwhile, both of these almost-success stories were sparked by Zack manipulating unsuspecting Screech into a. recording a demo tape of the three girls by dressing up as an Irish lady-janitor with a microphone rigged to a mop and encouraging them to sing their troubles in the girl’s locker room and b. dressing up in full scuba gear and waiting at the bottom of the school pool during swim practice to take photos of the girls’ swim team in their bathing suits.

Strawberry Banana Chia SmoothieEvery opportunity that ever existed was presented to these 6 characters, and I truly believed that that was how high school would be for me. Actually, the worst part about high school was that by the time I got there, spandex shorts and high top shoes and those aerobics leotards with leggings underneath, a thong up the butt, and a belt around the waist were so far out of style that I cried. I still want to wear that aerobics outfit :(

But on the bright side, at least if those aerobics outfits come back into style (fingers crossed!), my body will be on its way to looking sharp in mine after eating nothing but healthy, clean food for a whole month with no cheating!

Strawberry Banana Chia Smoothie

Because these smoothies are made with Greek yogurt, they are awesomely high in protein and low in fat. The strawberry and chia seeds add a great source of fiber, potassium from the bananas, vitamin C from the oranges and strawberries. These smoothies are thick and very filling, and something really cool: Chia seeds form this gelatinous coating when they’ve been exposed to water and if you make these and stick them in the fridge for a couple of hours, they really thicken up and make a delicious yogurt snack. Oh yes, and I forgot to mention that I added flax to this as well. Super powered!

Strawberry Banana Chia Smoothie

Strawberry Banana Chia Smoothies

Makes 2 8oz. Servings

• 1 7oz. Container Fage 2% Greek Yogurt
  • 1 Large Banana cut into 3rds
  • 1 Cup Fresh Strawberries, stemmed
  • 1 Tangerine, juiced
  • 1 tsp. Ground Flax Seed
  • 2 Tbsp. Whole Chia Seeds

Drink up, and enjoy!

*To make the drink into a thicker yogurt snack, simply refrigerate for at least 2 hours and grab a spoon!

Strawberry Banana Chia Smoothie

And please pray for spandex to make a comeback ;)

Strawberry Banana Chia Smoothie

5.0 from 3 reviews

Prep time
Total time

Ingredients
  • 1 7oz. Container Fage 2% Greek Yogurt
  • 1 Large Banana cut into 3rds
  • 1 Cup Fresh Strawberries, stemmed
  • 1 Tangerine, juiced
  • 1 tsp. Ground Flax Seed
  • 2 Tbsp. Whole Chia Seeds
Instructions
  1. In a blender or food processor, blend all ingredients, except chia seeds, until nice and smooth.
  2. Pour into two glasses and add one tablespoon of chia seeds to each serving. Stir them in with a spoon.
  3. Drink up, and enjoy!
Notes

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Strawberry Banana Chia Smoothie”

1. Helen
    January 3, 2013 at 10:25 am #

This sounds wonderful! I saw chia seeds at Trader Joes and wasn’t sure what you were supposed to do with them. I’ll give this a try!

• Rachel
      January 3, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

You can seriously put them in almost anything! I’m especially fond of them in this form because they also don’t distract from the texture, which is already chock-full of strawberry seeds anyway ;)

2. January 3, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

Wow, your pig has really grown! I love the look of this Strawberry Banana (my favorite flavors) Chia Smoothie, and I’m going to give it a try. Your photography is stunning! Happy New Year!

Alaiyo

• Rachel
      January 3, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

She certainly has since she was a baby, but she’s been at her full size for almost 2 years now (and now she’s the star of my show :) ) People often joke that I should change her name to “Wedding Cake” rather thank “Cupcake”, haha. She’s still my tiny baby to me, though!

Strawberry Banana is one of my all-time favorites, as well! It’s one of those combos that’s hard to get wrong. Thank you for the compliment on my photography, your website and photography is stunning as well! Your recipes always look so beautiful. Happy New Year!

3. Helen
    January 10, 2013 at 8:55 pm #

I did it! I tried this smoothie! It was sooooo good! Thick and delicious. Thank you so much for the recipe! Now I can’t wait to try your vegan gelatin recipe!

4. January 28, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

I bet this was a delicious smoothie. I love chia seeds and am always looking for new ways to use it. Thanks for sharing

• Rachel
      February 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

Yes, it was toooootally delicious! Of course, I’m a sucker for anything banana, so… But it’s great with the chia seeds and the yogurt because it comes out quite thick and is definitely filling (plus the Greek yogurt is packed with protein!)

5. May 1, 2013 at 12:57 am #

Why do you add whole chia seeds on top? I’ve always been concerned that I wouldn’t get the entire nutritional benefit unless I have the chia a quick buzz in my coffee grinder — is this overkill?

LOVE the recipe. Thx!

Paula
    Paula S recently posted…Double Green SmoothieMy Profile

• May 1, 2013 at 8:53 am #

Chia seeds, unlike flax seeds, don’t need to be ground up in order to release their full nutritional benefits. Grinding them up is not a necessary step, but I’m sure it’s not harming anything if you choose to do it that way. I find that the seeds are so small and flavorless, you really don’t even notice them in your smoothie. I would, however, recommend distributing them throughout the drink. The seeds sprinkled on top are just for photographic purposes ;)

6. September 11, 2013 at 8:17 am #

i’ve totally been into smoothies lately and i love that strawberry are in season right now!
    healthy smoothie recipes recently posted…Vegan Banana Honeydew Melon Smoothie RecipeMy Profile

7. Tanisha Mines
    May 3, 2014 at 2:28 pm #

please give me the recipe

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Saturday Morning Roundup - Healthy Breakfast Options - I Wash You Dry - January 5, 2013

[…] Chia seeds are all the rage, and not just for growing green haired Scooby Doo’s. This Strawberry Banana Chia Smoothie from The Pescetarian and The Pig is full of those tiny black seeds, and a great way to get your […]

2. 25 Healthy Smoothies with Chia Seeds-Green Smoothies 101Green Smoothies 101 - August 21, 2013

[…] a Better Person Smoothie Berry Green Smoothie Green Smoothie  Purple Monster Smoothie (pictured) Strawbery Banana Chia Seed Smoothie Gruener Smoothie Green Smoothie Hot Chocolate Breakfast Smoothies Grape Green Smoothie Tropical […]

3. 15 Quick and Incredible Smoothie Recipes - September 24, 2013