Raw Coconut Cranberry Cashew Fig Bars

Raw Coconut Cranberry Cashew Fig BarsGood morning! I’ve got a little spring in my step! And it’s not just because it’s 80 degrees out and beautifully, wonderfully, actually spring.

It’s because I whipped up a batch of these amazingly delicious, 100% vegan, fruit and nut bars. They taste super awesome, yo! For serious.

I’m sure you’ve seen a million fruit and nut bars by now. Thing is, they’re always made with dates. Now, I don’t know about you, but I’ve been a little skeptical of dates ever since I saw that poor little monkey eat a poisoned one in Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark. I mean, for real. The first time I ever even heard of dates was in that scene in that movie.

But in real for real life, the truth is that I just really like figs. I like them more than dates. Mostly because they have those delightful tiny crunchy seeds in them that kinda pop in your teeth. The very reason that I always preferred Fig Newtons over the other fruity flavors. And because a cookie is just a cookie, but Newtons are fruit and cake.

These bars are just fruits and nuts. Really tasty fruits and nuts. And these bars are paleo friendly!

Which, I’ve got to admit… I don’t really understand the paleo diet. Not that I’m hating on it or whatever, but I’m pretty sure if I’d been a cavewoman, I wouldn’t have just eaten nuts and seeds and fish and bison or whatever. I’m pretty positive that I would have invented Heath bars and brownies and chocolate covered espresso beans and all of those things. I would’ve been making bananas foster in my cave and chocolate chip cookies on my skillet made of a slab of rock. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups would be Rachel’s Peanut Butter Cups. Clearly.

Raw Coconut Cranberry Cashew Fig Bars

• 1 Cup Dried Black Mission Figs
  • 1 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
  • 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
  • 1 Cup Raw Unsalted Cashews
  • 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
  • 2 Tbsp. Honey (or Agave)
  • 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
  • 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

With food processor running, pour honey into the feed tube.

Either pulse or fold in cashews.

Line an 8×8 brownie pan with wax paper. Spoon fruit and nut mixture onto the wax paper and spread evenly with a spatula.

Feel free to sub raw almonds for cashews!

5.0 from 2 reviews
Raw Coconut Cranberry Cashew Fig Bars

Prep time
Total time

Healthy raw fruit and nut bars with coconut, cranberries, figs, and cashews.
Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 20
Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Dried Black Mission Figs
  • 1 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
  • 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
  • 1 Cup Raw Unsalted Cashews
  • ½ tsp. Sea Salt
  • 2 Tbsp. Honey (or Agave)
  • 1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
  • ½ tsp. Cinnamon
Instructions
  1. In a food processor, combine all ingredients except for honey and cashews. Mix until well blended.
  2. With food processor running, pour honey into the feed tube.
  3. Either pulse or fold in cashews.
  4. Line an 8x8 brownie pan with wax paper. Spoon fruit and nut mixture onto the wax paper and spread evenly with a spatula.
  5. Place another piece of wax paper on top and press the fruit and nut mixture firmly into the pan as evenly as possible.
  6. Refrigerate for 2 hours and cut into squares to serve. Store covered in the refrigerator.
  7. Feel free to sub raw almonds for cashews!

Β

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Raw Coconut Cranberry Cashew Fig Bars”

1. April 11, 2013 at 2:52 am #

Hi, What protein powders are alright to have on the paleo diet?, thank you.

• Rachel
      April 12, 2013 at 10:30 am #

I think it’s safe to assume that no protein powders are acceptable on the paleo diet, since protein powders were not available to cavemen and have actually only been available for the past 25 years or so…

2. April 11, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

Rachel, I am so trying these…. They look delicious and so healthy.
    Bam’s Kitchen recently posted…Diakon Salad with Sesame DressingMy Profile

• Rachel
      April 16, 2013 at 10:34 am #

They are SO tasty! And they keep very well in the fridge. Awesome for a grab and go snack πŸ˜‰

3. Larry
    April 13, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

This looks ab fab girl but about those figs being crunchy…..what would you say if you knew there was such a thing as a fig wasp that shoots tiny eggs into the fig with her projectile…and those “crunchy seeds” were actually the exoskeletons of baby fig wasps? Because this is true I shied away from figs for ages after learning this fact…but now I just embrace and crunch away. Isn’t nature wonderful?!

• Rachel
      April 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

What you’re referring to is only partially true. Yes, figs are pollinated by fig wasps. However, the eggs and babies are laid inside the male fig, which does not develop into edible fruit. On top of that, the babies do not form an exoskeleton until they have emerged from the fig. Sometimes female wasps end up dying inside of the female edible fruit because it doesn’t have the egg chambers that a male fig has, but the juice from the fruit breaks the wasp down into proteins and uses it as a nutrient resulting in no leftover wasp parts. All of the crunchy bits inside of a fig fruit are seeds, not wasps. Read here: http://science.howstuffworks.com/zoology/insects-arachnids/fig-wasp2.htm

4. April 15, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

These look great, much “drier” than my version – I guess I use too much coconut oil. I also use dates, so interested in trying with figs too
    Suz recently posted…The Paleo Snack Recipe BookMy Profile

• Rachel
      April 16, 2013 at 10:19 am #

Dates are a drier fruit in general, while dehydrated figs have a gooey texture, so they really need minimal assistance from oil. The best part of them is that they taste like the fruity filling of a Fig Newton without the shortcake surrounding it. Give them a try, you won’t be sorry πŸ˜‰

5. July 16, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

This looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

• July 27, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

6. July 22, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

These look so tasty!

• July 27, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

They are! Addictively so πŸ˜‰ And talk about easy!

7. August 31, 2015 at 6:57 am #

I’m late to the game, but so what? These are excellent! I needed something more than just trail mix to snack on, and these do the trick. My boyfriend loves them as well, and plans to take most of the batch on a super-busy business trip today. Needless to say, this is a great idea for traveling or any other situation where good food choices are scarce. It’s an easy recipe in which to change ingredients as well. πŸ™‚

8. julie
    September 27, 2015 at 7:17 am #

Hi Rachel did you use fresh figs or dried figs….Xx

• October 2, 2015 at 11:52 am #

Dried (dehydrated) figs πŸ™‚

9. October 27, 2015 at 5:01 am #

hi there, I don’t particularly like figs, is there anything else I can use as a substitute? preferably something more easily available. thanks xox

• October 27, 2015 at 10:03 am #

Dried figs should be available at almost any grocery store, but you could tweak the recipe a bit and use dates. You would need to run the dates (dried and pitted) through the food processor on their own first to get them nice and sticky, then go ahead and do the rest of the recipe as is.

Rate this recipe: