Chocolate Chipotle Salmon Rub

chocolate chipotle salmon rubWell, lookie here! Just when I thought that salmon could not be any more magnificent, I went and rubbed it in chocolate. Mmmm… Chocolate salmon.

This probably sounds a little bit strange (OK, maybe a lot strange), but I’ve been fantasizing about putting chocolate on my salmon for a really long time. There’s this warm flavor to cocoa powder that I had imagined would really really compliment a nice filet of creamy Scottish salmon. Then, chipotle (chip-oat-lay) entered onto my imaginary taste buds. I remember about five years ago, chipotle was all the rage, and a local coffee shop had an “Aztec Mocha,” which was a mocha with chipotle in it. It was wonderful. It gave a sort of smoky, spicy flavor that was comforting like a wood burning stove on a snowy day. Once flavors like cinnamon and orange started swirling in my head, I made it my mission to create the salmon rub of my dreams.

I did it! This Chocolate Chipotle Salmon Rub is exactly what I had pictured it tasting like in the tongue of my mind (dude, I hope that term catches on). Warm, fragrant, a little bit sweet, a little bit spicy, and such a perfect flavor combination to accentuate the sweet and creamy amazingness of salmon.

See how I used this rub in my Chocolate Chipotle Seared Salmon Salad.

IMG_7316Chocolate Chipotle Salmon Rub

• 1 tsp. Fresh Coffee Grounds
  • 1/2 tsp. Ground Chipotle
  • 1/2 tsp. Cocoa Powder
  • 1/4 tsp. Valencia Orange Peel
  • 1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
  • 1/4 tsp. Paprika

IMG_7314

4.7 from 3 reviews
Chocolate Chipotle Salmon Rub

Prep time
Total time

Chocolatey chipotle salmon rub adds a wonderfully warm, rich taste to accentuate the salmon's natural flavor perfectly.
Author:
Recipe type: Pescetarian
Serves: 10
Ingredients
  • 1 tsp. Fresh Coffee Grounds
  • ½ tsp. Ground Chipotle
  • ½ tsp. Cocoa Powder
  • ¼ tsp. Valencia Orange Peel
  • ¼ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp. Sea Salt
  • ¼ tsp. Paprika
Instructions
  1. Mix all of the spices together in a food processor or Magic Bullet. Rub into the flesh side of your salmon before cooking.
  2. This rub can be used for baking, searing, or cooking your salmon on the grill. Store in a sealed container in a cool dry place.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Chocolate Chipotle Salmon Rub”

1. Chloe
    May 13, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

Looks delicious! Definitely going to give it a try tonight!

2. Gail
    May 14, 2013 at 2:04 am #

Now this sounds like my next fish dish from the Pesc. and the Pig! (We had the parchment fish again on Saturday night for dinner). Also I can imagine your chocolate, chipotle rub (sans the salmon) as a perfume…or a cookie, or even a piece of hand made chocolate.

Ellen Covey, the Olympic Orchids perfumer, just created a scent featuring bitter chocolate and silver fir. I am wearing it right now and it serves to totally satisfy my craving for something sweet and chocolaty. With this perfume I can have my dessert and NOT have to eat it and thus save my appetite for your yummy salmon dish.

• May 28, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

That’s so funny that you can satisfy your chocolate craving with just the smell of it! Does that really work?

3. May 14, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

Love those photo shots!!! Okay it might be a little strange but I so see how that would work. After all it is not sweet but the depth of flavours from the spice that come through. Do you cook your salmon on a cedar plank?
    Bam’s Kitchen recently posted…Cajun BBQ Tower of Love and GiveawayMy Profile

• May 28, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

Thanks 🙂 Sometimes, yes, I do cook salmon on a cedar plank, but not this particular one. The cedar plank adds a whole different flavor to the salmon, which is delightful as well!

4. May 15, 2013 at 11:02 am #

Looks amazing and so creative too!

• May 28, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

It is very tasty!

5. May 15, 2013 at 11:37 am #

Yummmm-o! This sounds delightful – I haven’t cooked salmon in WAY to long so I may just add it to my menu for this week…
    Megan recently posted…Easiest Homemade Cake Ever: Blender Chocolate CakeMy Profile

• May 28, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Salmon is a fish that I find extremely hard to resist.

6. Jennifer
    February 13, 2016 at 5:37 pm #

I’ve noticed so many comments and reviews on recipes are by folks who haven’t actually made the items. I made this salmon as part of my (early) Valentine’s Day Chocolate Dinner, and it was really great! I used fresh grated orange, increased the cocoa just a bit, and used ancho chile instead of chipotle (kids can’t do the spice).

It’s really delicious! No one flavor stands out– like it doesn’t taste like chocolate– but all blend together and are really incredible!

I served this with sweet potato wedges (baked and sprinkled with ancho) and manchego cheese grits. REALLY amazing for a fancy and flavorful dinner– and my 9 and 7 yo boys both ate it up!