My Epic 14 Day Juice Cleanse Adventure

My Epic 14 Day Juice Cleanse Adventure is about to begin and I’m… scared!

Juice Fast

The decision I made to start this juice cleanse was very sudden and I’ve never done one before. Never one to aim small, I’ve chosen a period of 14 days to drink/eat nothing but freshly juiced fruits and vegetables. Subsequently, I will be a vegan for 2 weeks! Pretty exciting…

So why am I doing it?

I’ve been feeling a bit dull lately. My creative mind seems to be hiding, I feel like I’m really lacking in inspiration, and life has gotten somewhat mundane. I’ve also been hanging on to weight that I gained right after Christmas that just will not seem to budge no matter what. I’ve always been a skeptic when it comes to the juice cleanse, not really believing that it has as many benefits as people claim. I’ve read studies that claim that there is no scientific research to actually back the “benefits” of juicing, and it seems odd to deprive yourself of solid food for long lengths of time. On the other hand, I know many people who absolutely swear by juicing to “reset” their bodies, and I can’t say I disagree with the logic behind it. But then again, you know, you hear someone likes it, someone hates it, someone thinks it is beneficial, someone thinks it’s pretty stupid… Well, even though my opinion toward it has been more on the negative side in the past, the only way for me to actually know is to actually do a juice cleanse myself.

I also really like to challenge myself to follow through with things that are hard, and I’m pretty positive that living off of juice for 2 weeks is going to be a really big challenge.

Why am I blogging about it?

When researching things like juicing, I typically read or hear only the positive things about the outcome of the cleanse. Well, what about any of the downsides? Certainly there are some negatives to a juice cleanse… Hunger? Lethargy? Unpalatable juices? Illness? Headaches? Nausea?

Well, I’m going to chronicle the entire thing each day. How I feel, how much I exercise, how much weight I lose, how I’m dealing with living without coffee (scary!), and each day I’m going to share with you a new juice recipe. I’ll be experimenting with juice combinations like crazy, and I’ll only share the ones that taste really good, I swear!

How will I prepare for the cleanse?

Duh, like any self-respecting human would prepare. By gorging myself on delicious food for my final day of solids: Greek yogurt with sliced banana, peanut butter, and cinnamon for breakfast, egg whites and veggies for lunch, and the Vegetarian Combo plate at the local Jerusalem Cafe. Then, I will top it off by consuming an entire jar full of Trader Joe’s Crunchy Cookie Butter and Talenti Coffee Chip Ice cream. Thank you.

Any supplements?

I will continue taking a Ginkgo Biloba and Ginseng extract supplement that I bought to attempt to improve my foggy creativity-less brain. I will also continue to take Amino Acids to help avoid losing any muscle during the cleanse.

So here we go… Day 1 of My Epic 14 Day Juice Cleanse Adventure starts………..

14 Responses to “My Epic 14 Day Juice Cleanse Adventure”

1. Kathleen Faraday
    May 13, 2014 at 7:08 pm #

Omg! You go girl!

• May 16, 2014 at 10:19 am #

Thanks, Aunt Toddy!

2. George
    May 13, 2014 at 8:43 pm #

No coffee??!! That sounds like a deal breaker to me. I don’t know if I could do that. Good luck! :)

• May 16, 2014 at 10:19 am #

I, too, believe that the no coffee part of this cleanse is going to be the hardest thing. And I don’t even drink it for energy, I’m addicted to it because it tastes so darn good! I usually drink 2 gigantic mugs of it in the morning and sometimes another in the afternoon, or I’ll switch to decaf and have a mug in the afternoon and one in the evening… Total.Coffee.Addict.

• George
        May 17, 2014 at 12:38 am #

I’m in a place with no Starbucks, but I’ve managed to find a place that serves world-class coffee. I’ve been checking out your juicing blogs. No wonder you’re dragging. Are you supplementing with a vitamin/mineral cocktail? Be good to yourself. you’re the only one of you we have.

• May 19, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

Hi George! Thank you for your concern about my health :) After Day 2 I’ve started to feel much better. On the recommendation of a “juice cleanse coach”, I upped my juice intake and am consuming more juice throughout the day than I initially was. I don’t take vitamin supplements, but I’ve been told that on the juice cleanse, you shouldn’t have to… So we’ll see how that goes!

3. Lawranne
    May 14, 2014 at 1:39 am #

HA! After you made fun of MY juice cleanse last year! Haha, good luck! You can do it!

• May 14, 2014 at 8:21 am #

Lawranne, I wasn’t making fun, I was trying to make you feel better for not going all the way through with it because I had read that there’s no proof to back it up. Your cleanse is actually exactly what made me be like “Hmm… Lawranne said she felt really good when she did it, so maybe I should see for myself…” I’m still a skeptic… I was a slug already by the end of day 1!

• Lawranne
        May 14, 2014 at 10:07 am #

The first three days are the hardest, from what I hear. Sami and I tried the cleanse after watching Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. In the video, the guy literally didn’t get out of bed for the first two days. I think I just assumed that wouldn’t happen to me because he was a lot less healthy than we are, but now I think just going from solid food to liquids is probably hard on anyone. I did feel better, but I needed food because I was an idiot and started the cleanse during my workweek. I could tell I was cranky with my students, haha! So now I will follow your journey and see how long the sluggishness lasts, and maybe get inspired to cleanse fo realz.

Also, favorite “dessert” juice: kale, pineapple, watermelon, strawberry. Do it.

• May 16, 2014 at 10:17 am #

Um, that actually sounds completely delicious… I must go buy the ingredients! I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead on Netflix last night because BOTH you AND Jessica recommended it, so I was like “WHAT?! I gotta see it!”… Holy cow, the difference it made in those 2 men’s lives (especially the 2nd guy, Phil). I can’t believe they did it for 60 days! I wonder if when I get to day 14 I’ll want to keep going!

4. May 14, 2014 at 1:57 am #

Best wishes to you and looking forward to hearing about your experience about this epic 14 days without “coffee” and only juices. Bless your heart this is going to be a feat.
    Bam’s Kitchen recently posted…Star Anise Braised Bamboo ShootsMy Profile

• May 16, 2014 at 10:24 am #

Thanks, Bam! I just really hope I don’t fall into the irritable category… I don’t want to be an unpleasant individual during this cleanse!

5. May 14, 2014 at 11:30 am #

Good luck on this! I juice daily but eat as well. I’ve always wanted to do a cleanse so I am looking forward to reading your honest feedback!
    Heather P @The Owl with the Goblet recently posted…Caribbean Vacation :: Part TwoMy Profile

• May 16, 2014 at 10:12 am #

Thank you! I bought my juicer many years ago and was so excited to try it out, but then I had my first juice and just went “blech…”.. I put the juicer away and never touched it again until now. On this fast, the first juices were a little hard to swallow, since I wasn’t used to drinking my vegetables… But they have certainly begun to grow on me and each one tastes better and better!